"Jim taught me to knit on a peaceful little Caribbean Island. I’m an attorney who never considered doing anything meditative. Now I can’t stop."
~ Rodney G.
Knitting Heals the Body and the Mind
I have enjoyed the many benefits that knitting provides, from acquiring patience and reducing stress to quitting a couple rather undesirable habits and processing life’s unpleasant challenges.
Today, I offer Knitting Zen programs: individual classes, multi-day courses or knitting retreats. For more information, contact me.
Knitting and Zen meditation share the same benefits.
- A meditation-like state
- Relief from stress
- Focused self-control
- Regulating the mind with counting or watching the breath
- Awareness of the stream of thoughts while allowing them to pass without interference
- Staving off depression
- Improving self-esteem
- Enhanced social skills
- Quitting bad habits
Harvard Medical School Research
- Repetitive needlework can induce a relaxed meditation-like state
- Lowers heart rate and blood pressure
- Reduces harmful levels of the stress hormone cortisol
- Increases energy
- Helps arthritic fingers remain more dexterous
Mayo Clinic Psychiatrist’s Research
- Suggests knitting may stave off a decline in brain function with age
- Reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s